Author Spotlight September 2021

 I am very happy to spotlight an Author from UK this month, Please enjoy and if you have any comments please share them. If you are interested in a my spotlight Series please e-mail me to Spiritw74@yahoo.com 

Author Spotlight September 2021



Review- “What’s an OG?” This book reminds me a little of Dr. Seuss. It combines beautiful illustrations with very simple rhyming words. It has a great flow that younger children will enjoy. I think it will be a good read for children 2- to 5-year-olds. The main character a wise owl, is talking to the audience trying do explain What is an OG? I can imagine this book being read in front of a classroom of pre-k to kindergarteners, and I can picture the children getting into it. I will give this one 4 stars because I believe the author could have played more with the rhyme and expand the book a few more pages. Overall, this is a great read and a book many young children can enjoy.      

 Mary Barry: 

Author, Publisher, Researcher, general Dogsbody and Coffee Maker at Malba Books

 Mary’s a writer of rhymes and tall tales,

Who goes on adventures with Ogs, Ugs, and Ails.

 

With my first book “What’s an Og?”  out into the world since February this year and “What’s an Ail?” is on its way, I feel like I’m a real author!


“What’s an Og?” was written and the series conceived during one of the many pandemic lockdowns, but its origin come from many years ago when I started to write books to help teach my children to read.
These books were written using simple phonics and personalized for each of my three children.  Written in pencil on school copybooks with stick figures, these were very basic indeed but planted the seed which then remained dormant for 30+ years.
Rooted in the science of learning, these books use rhymes, repetition, and fun to make the sounds stick.

 My life has had many adventures.  Brought up in the Southeast of Ireland, I had a wonderful childhood full of family, friends, holidays by the sea and, of course, books.  Always an avid reader, I could be found hiding away behind a hedge or up in the branches of a tree with a good book, having lost all track of time.

Fast forward through careers as a laboratory technician, research scientist, science lecturer and positive reinforcement horse trainer, to the pandemic.  This literally brought a halt to my gallop (I had been travelling extensively giving courses to groups of horse owners). But it did give me the gift of time to sit down and write those books that have been in my mind for years!

 So now I’m an author, publisher, marketer, and general dogsbody at Malba Books.

 


What inspired you do become a writer and publisher?

 

My own children.  When they were young, there were no real beginner readers available that used simple phonics to help them learn the sounds of the letters, so I used to make books for them.  Each book was personalized, and we started with very simple three letter words that they could sound out.  As their skills grew, so did the challenges in the books.
These were simple copy books with my stick figure illustrations, and they colored them themselves!

Please tell us about the job you used to have and how it compares to the one you have now?

Jobs: I spent many years teaching at college level but the latest career I had was teaching horse owners how to train their own horses.  Positive reinforcement has always been key in my work. This process of teaching uses the same methodology that I want to incorporate in my book series.
 Teach component parts, use easy achievable steps Make it rewarding It should always be fun.

 

Who inspired you to become a Writer and Publisher? 

 

There was no one person who was my inspiration.  I have always been a reader with an eclectic taste in books and read everything from thrillers to crime novels, serious science to romance novels – all depending on my humor and whether I was looking for stimulation or sheer escapism.
When my kids started reading independently, we did acquire all the Roald Dahl books and for me, the writing style, simplicity, and fun are things I would love to emulate.

 

Please tell us a bit more about your childhood in Ireland.

 

Waterford, in the south-east of Ireland is where I spent the first 18 years of my life.  The eldest of five, I had a (mostly) very happy childhood.  Family was very important to both my parents, so I grew up with loads of cousins at a time when we had a lot of freedom to explore the world around us independently.
Books were always very important for me, but we also had trips to the beach, my uncles farm, fishing for pinkeens in streams, riding our bikes to go swimming, picnicking etc

 

Can you share a moment in your life that changed everything? 

When my first daughter was born, that had a massive impact.  Suddenly, I had this tiny, entirely dependent creature to care for. 

 

What kind of advice can you give to new writers?

         

Really research the area you want to write in, join groups of other supportive writers and ask for help!

 

What are some of your favorite authors you have read?

          Kids’ Books:  Favorite is Roald Dahl

            Romance and absolute escapism:  Marian Keyes

            Crime Novels: Patricia Cornell, Michael Connelly, Serious stuff: Norman Doige, Simon Sinek.... Plus loads more

 

If you can go back in time and change one moment in your life, what would it be?

 

 I would go back and write my books years sooner!

 

Tell us a bit about your family and how they have influenced your life? 

 

My brothers and sisters have been very supportive throughout my life.  My kids have been the major reason that I wrote my books. 

 

Do you have any wise words to share with our audience?   

You're never too old to follow your dreams!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Spotlight May 2021

New Author Spotlights

About me and a few book suggestions