Author Spotlight October 2021

 Author Spotlight October 2021

 


 Book Review- “No Dinosaurs Allowed” was a great book with a strong message for children. The Illustrations were simple and well done. The idea that public places are for everyone even Dinosaurs, was interesting. I also liked how the story arc came to a full circle. The few minor issues this book had are some forced Rhyme in places and No character growth. It definitely is a fun read for two- to six-year-olds. Overall, I will give this book four stars.

Biography

Deborah is a writer and nursing professor who lives in New York with her family and the incorrigible Chewy Belle who is one of the main characters in her chapter book “The One-Eyed Pug”. Deborah holds a PhD in nursing and has taken myriad writing classes.

Deborah refers to herself as an eclectic author as she writes in several genres.  She published her first award winning children’s books “Same Inside Different Outside” and “The One-Eyed Pug” in 2017.  She has also published two middle-grade books, an activity book, a self-care book, and a picture book biography on the legendary Dale Earnhardt she co-authored with Scott Murphy.  Deborah is thrilled to share that Hurn Publications will be publishing several of her children’s books in 2021 and 2022 and Clear Fork Publishing will be publishing her chapter book.

Deborah loves sharing her books and hopes to inspire kids to love books just as much as she does. She often includes this quote in the books she is asked to sign. “May you always have a book to read and a story to hold in your heart.”  Like Isabella she loves “Nonna’s meatballs.

Deborah also enjoys the beach, hiking, cooking, painting, gardening, dancing, and adores puppies. One day she hopes to own a farm filled with rescue dogs, a horse, some chickens, and a couple of goats

Questions

Who is your biggest inspiration for you

 

I would have to say my children who inspire me every single day to never give up on my dreams. 

 

What made you decide to become a nurse? 

 

I think I was born to be a nurse and a writer because those were two things I always wanted to do from my childhood. 

 

Tell is a bit about your writing process?

 

I write every single day at different times throughout the day.  I refer to myself as an eclectic author because I write in different genres and my writing process varies every day. I am always working on several projects and sometimes will go back and forth between projects and other times I will write a complete story and then go back and edit. I also belong to formal writing program and critique group and an informal writing support/critique group.  I also spend time collaborating with my agent Dawn Dowdle, and my publisher; Meaghan Hurn at Hurn Publications and Callie Metler at Clear Fork Publishing.  I also take a writing class with Callie. 

 

Where do you get your book ideas from?

 

My book ideas come from my life experiences and people, places, and pets that are near and dear to my heart. Some of my books are influenced by my experience as a nurse.  Sometimes I get an idea from an editors or agent's wish list or a submission theme.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did you and your illustrator work close together or not?

 

Yes, I have been lucky to work very closely with all the illustrators who have helped bring my stories to life. Ashleigh Heyns who illustrated No Dinosaurs Allowed is extremely talented and has been a delight to collaborate with on this book.

 

 

 

 

 

What wise words can you share with new authors?

 

My advice is to never give up on your dreams, learn as much as you can about your genre and the agents and edits who publish your genre, write every day, join a critique group, be open to editing your manuscript based on the critiques, edit, and polish your manuscripts before submitting, follow the submission guidelines carefully, expect rejections, and believe in yourself.

 

Did you set up a marketing plan for your books?

 

Yes, I set up an affordable plan for myself, utilized my social media accounts, sought out reviews, and also collaborated with my publisher.  

 

Tell us how your family has influenced you in your writing?

 

My family has always encouraged and supported my writing journey. They read my work and they give me honest recommendations. And they celebrate my success. 

 

    

 

 

 

What future projects are you working on?

  

I have several forthcoming books that will be published by Hurn Publications and Clear Fork Publishers so those are in various stages of editing and development. My agent is in the process of submitting two of my picture books and I am revising three additional picture books and am also writing a middle grade book. 

 

 

 

 

Can you share some wise words with this community?

 

The wise words I received many years ago are worth repeating. If you want to be a writer, you need to write and be open to constructive criticism. Always be professional and believe in yourself. And finally write because you love it.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Spotlight May 2021

New Author Spotlights

About me and a few book suggestions