Author Spotlight August 2022

 Author Spotlight August 2022

  


Bio

Hi! I’m Sybrina. I have been writing since I was a little girl. My Dad was my main influence. He could tell a story like nobody’s business. He would hold an entire room enthralled, wildly recounting his youthful adventures. I could never tell stories like that, but I found that I could write them down pretty well. A little aside about my dad that you might find interesting...he thought he made up my name, Sybrina, and he was proud of it. Once I made the mistake of asking him if I could have a nickname because Sybrina (Si [rhymes with Hi]-Bree-Nuh) is awkward name to pronounce. No one ever got it right. Well, that was the angriest He ever was at me. His answer was unequivocally “NO!” He said, “I gave you that name for a reason. Someday the world is going to know who you are, and you need a name they will remember.” I scoffed at such a notion at the time but maybe that little lecture is what has motivated me to keep writing and sharing my stories. The hardest thing about being a writer these days is realizing that you must also be your own publisher and publicist. The truth is that over one thousand new books are released for sale in this country alone every single day. So, the hard work begins after the book has been made available to the public. It is then, you realize you must set your feet on the long hard path of marketing because, with so many other books calling for people’s attention, it’s up to you to ensure they know yours is out there and that is it something they’ll be happy to read. I like to refer to myself as an authorpreneur because part of my marketing process involves online bookstores related to themes in my books. Two of my online bookstores include the Girls Love Bows Gift Shop and The Rabbit and The Fox Book Store.https://sybrina.com/girls-love-bows-gift-shop-glbgs-1/andhttps://sybrina.com/the-rabbit-and-the-fox-book-store/These stores bring exposure to my own books and since I believe in authors helping other authors, I’m happy to promote other “learn to tie” book authors there as well. They “Learn to Tie” series of books started off with “Learn to Tie with The Rabbit and The Fox.” It is currently available in English, Spanish and Tagalog at all online bookstores. “Nellie Knows How to Knot a Neck Scarf” and “Ned Knows How to Knot a Necktie “finish out the “Learn to Tie a Tie” books. “Cleo Can Tie a Bow “and “Boo’s Shoes–Learn to Tie Shoelaces “round out the series. Boo’s Shoes, starts out with a young bunny who doesn’t want to learn to tie his shoelaces. He has lots of shoes and none of them need to be tied so he doesn’t think he needs to know how to do it. But his friend, Farah Fox, shows him that it is a skill he can use for many things.

Interview

 

1)      What or who inspired you to be a writer? That would be my dad – God rest his soul. His love of telling stories is what interested me in writing things down for the enjoyment of others.

2)     Do you do your own illustrations? Oh, no…I do Autocad drafting for a living and am very good at that but I cannot create beautiful artwork.  For that, I must hire people and I have been very fortunate to find some amazing illustrators for my books.

3)     What is your typical process to write a book, please share it with us? I am what they call a “plotter”. I go to great extremes preparing to write my books. I use everything from outlines, to summaries, to index cards and spreadsheets to keep track of everything from the progress of the storyline to the personality traits of the characters.

4)     Do you have any advice for new authors? If you have a story in you, then you must let it out. But know this…the competition to get eyes on your book is astronomical.  Begin with getting attention from your immediate sphere of influence and keep trying for the concentric outer circles from there. It is not easy but if you are a writer and you really want to find some success in your genre, you will do whatever it takes to let people know your book exists.

5)     With your unique name, do people sometimes mess up when they address you? LOL No one pronounces it correctly.  That would be Sy (long I sound) bri (bree) na (nuh). Everyone automatically assumes my name should be Sabrina.  That’s the popular name that everyone knows.  I’d prefer to hear it the way my parent’s intended but I don’t fret over it.  It makes me happy when anyone is interested enough to call out to me.

6)     Where do you get you story ideas? I mainly write for children.  My writing path has gone off on 2 directions.  The first path took me on a journey with a tribe of anthropomorphic metal horn unicorns. I still write variations of them today.  My next book to feature them will be called “All the Metals in The Alphabet – The Periodic Table Elements Presented by The Metal Horn Unicorns”. I’m just waiting on the illustrations to be completed. I love the idea of animals (especially fantasy creatures with human characteristics).  That love was derived from books like Water ship Down by Richard Adams and Piers Anthony’s unicorn books from way back in the late 70’s. Around the same time period, I also discovered a need to learn to tie a necktie.  I got the idea to create a picture book showing youngsters how to do it through mnemonics (the act of learning through a poem or song). That book evolved into several “Learn to Tie with The Rabbit and The Fox Books”. My most recent is Boo’s Shoes – Learn to Tie Shoelaces.”

7)     Like your dad, do you consider yourself not only a writer but a storyteller? I have found that you must be a storyteller when marketing and promoting books.  People are interested in the back story of the main story, so to speak.  I have found many ways to make it more interesting every time I speak or write about my journey.

8)     Where did you work or do you still work, or do you consider yourself a full time a writer? Thank God I still work in the Engineering world!  It helps pay for everything involved in the self-published writing process.  Unfortunately, a writer is the one cog in the wheel who doesn’t get paid up front for their efforts. I have found that the self-publishing industry is a big money maker for everyone but the author.  The author must pay everyone involved in getting the book to the public - up front. That includes but is not limited to the illustrator (for picture book pages or any other type of book cover), the editors (yes, that is plural on purpose), sometimes the beta readers, the book formatters (for epub or anything else you can’t figure out how to do yourself), and for all of the promoting and marketing (of which there is a never-ending supply of vendors contacting your email inbox). To answer your question, no, I’m not a full-time writer but even though I have a full-time job elsewhere, I’m still a full time marketer for the books I currently have.

9)     How do you market your books, and do you find this process hard to do? Marketing is a very hard process.  Sure, you can post to all of your social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest) on a regular basis for free but to achieve more, you must be willing to spend money. I schedule several months of daily posts to all of my social media through a service called Postfity. That is very time consuming and you must pay for the scheduling service.  I have a daily blog at Sybrina.com to which I also auto-schedule blog posts. To offset the cost of running the blog, I offer a Fiverr service to promote other author’s children’s books on my blog. My blog is hosted by Wordpress. I use it because it is very user friendly but once again, you must pay to use it. One of the main things I use my blog for is to set up book stores featuring books by other authors who have books in the same category as mine.  I have a unicorn book store with over 1000 books.  I have a learn to tie book store with tons of books, games and toys for learning to tie. Since, I am an Amazon Affiliate, I find items that I feel are appropriate for my needs and link to them from my blog stores.  I also have a bi-weekly newsletter on which I post about unicorn books by other authors.  I also have a membership with StoryOrigin to find other fantasy authors to share newsletter posts about. Both are fairly costly services. And where would you be without graphics? They are what draw people eye to posts. I have yearly memberships with Placeit.net and Bookbrush.com for that. I can literally go on and on about this but I think you get the gist. Time consuming and expensive are the key take aways from this. But you can do little things to help make up for the costs, such as my Fiverr Gig and the lesson plans I offer on TeachersPayTeachers.com.

10) Do you have any wise advise to the community, or young children?   Being the creator of something that others love is the best feeling in the world. I recommend everyone follow their dream. But don’t get too down, if you come to the realization that you will still need a day job to keep the lights on. You can still do what you love on the side. Never give up.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Spotlight May 2021

New Author Spotlights

About me and a few book suggestions